Skip to main content

Street Cop Training

September 30, 2022

Uvalde Hallway Footage to be Revealed this Weekend 

State Representative Dustin Burrows is taking charge of an investigation into the Robb Elementary school shooting. He states that the surveillance camera in the school hallway has recorded the incident. The footage lasts about 77 minutes, and the footage ends just before law enforcement breaches the room. 

In a tweet, Representative Burrows said, “We feel strongly that members of the Uvalde community should have the opportunity to see the video and hear from us before they are made public.” 

Anger has mounted across the country about the police response to the active shooter in the elementary school. People are demanding transparency and putting pressure on administrators to release more information. This has led to a renewed sense of urgency to get the footage out for the community to see. The surveillance footage does not show any children in the captured images. 

It has been seven weeks since the shooting deaths of 19 children and two adults. The slow response of the police and their lack of transparency has people doubting law enforcement, so having the footage released will at least shed some light but will no doubt cause more questions. 

The Texas State Police last week stated that Uvalde County District Attorney Christina Busbee had no intention of sharing the footage with the public at this time. However, District Attorney Busbee has not said anything publicly and declined to comment further.

Representative Burrows’ investigation team has interviewed over 40 people over the past few weeks. Among those interviewed were law enforcement that responded and was on scene. Hopefully, this will lead to a better understanding of what happened on scene. 

Currently, fingers have been constantly pointed in the direction of Chief Pete Arredondo despite many other agencies being on scene, including local, state, and federal law enforcement. Chief Arredondo has been cited as the on-scene commander during the incident. However, he paints a different picture. 

In an interview with the Texas Tribune, Chief Arredondo stated that he was NOT in charge of the scene due to other agencies responding and the fact he had no radio on him at the time. As a result, chief Arredondo had assumed one of the other agencies had taken it over. 

It is likely that once the footage is released to the public that it will not lead to a dramatic revelation or give much insight into the police response. It is part of an ongoing investigation that has been steadily worked on for almost two months. The video will spark more questions and push for more transparency, but it will not do much to serve as closure for those involved.